Skip to main content

Golf Club Architects

  • The architects of the golf clubs in the Basque Country

•    The Golf de Biarritz Le Phare, created in 1888, has 18 holes and a 9-hole course reserved for women.  In 1889, the renowned English architects Tom and Willie DUNN were called on to redesign the links.
In 1920, the acclaimed architect H.S. COLT was entrusted with restoring the appeal of Biarritz’s golf club.

The American architect Ronald FREAM designed the Golf d’Arcangues, which was built in the 90s by the d’Arcangues brothers, Guy and Jean, on the family estate which surrounds the castle and the village.

For the Makila Golf Club Bayonne-Bassussarry-Pays Basque, the American architect Rocky ROQUEMORE succeeded in reconciling highly stylised structuring with a hilly, wooded environment.

The Golf International de Chiberta in Anglet was designed by Tom SIMPSON in 1927 to be a clever combination of ocean-edge links and ‘inland’ in the heart of the Chiberta forest.

The Golf de Chantaco in Saint-Jean-de-Luz, designed by the British architect Harry COLT, was inaugurated in 1928.  The course was laid out in the middle of a hilly forest.

The Golf de la Nivelle in Ciboure was created in 1907 by J. H. TAYLOR, the renowned architect and champion.

The Centre international d’entraînement au Golf d’Ilbarritz was inaugurated in 1988, on the centenary anniversary of the Golf de Biarritz Le Phare. Its unique design was the work of architect Pierre THEVENIN.


  • The architects of the golf clubs in Béarn Pyrénées

The Blue Green Golf Pau Artiguelouve, a course featuring water hazards and palm trees was created by Jean GARAIALDE.

Built in 1856 by the Scottish and designed by the architect William DUNN Sr., Pau Golf Club is the oldest golf club in the world outside of the British Isles.


  • The architects of the golf clubs in the Landes

The Golf de Moliets, built in 1986 and designed by the American architect Robert TRENT JONES, is an authentic seaside resort with its 4-hole links.

The Golf Blue Green Seignosse was voted France’s 3rd favourite golf club in 2016. This outstanding site was designed by the architect Robert VAN HAGGE.

Arnaud MASSY and John MORRISO
N designed the Golf d’Hossegor in 1927, laying out the course in the middle of a pine and cork oak forest on sandy soil sheltered from the wind. With its typically British layout, fine-tuned by Cabell ROBINSON,  Hossegor is listed among the world’s thousand best golf courses by the Rolex Book.

The Golf PInsolle-Souston was built in 1990 by French golf architect Pierre THEVENIN. Located in the Landes pine forest, it offers practice water hazards and covered ranges.

The Golf de Mont de Marsan was created in 1993 by the architect Jean GARAIALDE. Its fairways unfold in the heart of a preserved forest.